Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Tuesday Morning Musings


No one makes much of a fuss about January 2nd. All of the "Year in Review" stuff happens all day on January 1st and everyone pretty much jumps on that band wagon. Well...I have a confession to make. That band wagon takes off each year with all the sincerity its passengers can muster and it's always light one Puerto Rican tush!

Honestly, I'm too busy reading or watching about everyone else's recollections of the year that I don't take too much time to consider my own musings of the past year. So today (because Spiffy suggested I "write, write, write") I'll take my own version of the jog down memory lane.

I turned 40 this year. I milestone I met head on and with feeling! I cut my very long hair, very very short and dyed it blue and black. I pierced my bellybutton and got a great tattoo and then I paused.

I am, by trade, a realtor and mortgage broker. It was pretty hard to continue being taken seriously by my middle-aged, mid-western clientele having navy blue hair, and so...the hair went back to just black and I quit with the short, belly-exposing shirts and tried to conform to being middle-aged too! Often I could be seen sitting alone in my car stifling cries of, "I object!!!" The objection was to how quickly 40 creeps up on you and kicks you in the arse, HARD.

All the complaining subsided to find me glad to be comfortable in my own skin. I can look at myself in the mirror and say, "Hmmm...not bad for an old broad." I was over the angst that riddled my 20's and the "busy" years of my 30's. Forty found me hitting my stride. My life has a comfortable rhythm for which I am grateful. The blue hair was just a hiccough, I think.

So with most of the anguish generated by the big 4-0 out of my system, life carried on as usual. I had a new EX boyfriend and a new house. Dating was exciting (for about 5 minutes) and I felt as if 2006 was loaded with possibility. The year crept on and life passed by; work, home, work, home; and the occassional blind date. Some of those dates beg a post entirely their own!

As the days ticked past, the possibility of possibility seemed less...well...possible. My real estate career waxed and waned (mostly waned) and a couple of investments went in the toilet.

So here I am in January of 2007, looking back at a year that was, at best, uneventful and looking forward again with hope and expectation. A new boyfriend, a new bathroom in the new, old house and lots of new projects to begin and finish in my new/old house seem to jam me back in to the possibility frame of mind!

Here's to a better year this time around, and if that doesn't work out...well there's always '08!!!